My Baby's Smile. My Journey and Recovery Through Postpartum Depression

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Women and heart disease

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=1200011

I know that this goes off the beaten track of my blog about PPD and Depression, but I just found out that I lost an old friend to a heart attack. That has made three friends that I have know since High School that have died in the past year, I am only 42. They were all women. Two that I know were from Heart Attacks and one was from Diabetes. As women we tend to think that heart disease is a "man" problem, but it is the number one killer of women. The link above has some great information. We, as women, tend to put others first, our family, jobs, chores, but we need to take care of ourselves as well. We need to make the time to make sure that we are well, so that we too will be around to tuck our babies in at night and tell them that we love them. My son left for camp before and he said, "Mommy, I need you." All I could think about was, "What if one day I am not here for him?" I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it.

Stacey, rest in peace my friend, I will miss you. Please from today forward, let's take care of not only the others in our lives, but of ourselves also!