My Baby's Smile. My Journey and Recovery Through Postpartum Depression

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Bringing Baby Home....

http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_newborn/home/bringing_baby_home.html

This is a great article on brining baby home. I know for myself I tried to get everything ready about 4 weeks before my due date. I had the car seat ready; the cradle set up; clothes washed and placed neatly on the shelves. I also had to do research on getting my dog ready for my son to arrive. For anyone out there who has pets, if this is your first baby please remember that your beloved pet thinks that they are the only baby in the house.

Some tips for getting your pet ready for your baby to arrive that I did with my "baby" was to carry around a doll in a blanket. The first time I put the doll in the blanket my dog wanted to jump up and see it. I kept telling her to sit and relax. After a few more times she was calm and did not want to jump up on me. I would lower the doll to her level so that she could see what I was holding and I let her sniff the blanket. Second, when my son was born I had my mother take one of his shirts and blankets to the house to let my doggie sniff his scent. This way she was not shocked by him when he did arrive home. Then on the day we did arrive home, I walked in first and pet her then showed her the car seat. At first she wanted to jump and see, but little by little she sniffed him. When I would feed my son, I would give my dog a bone so that she would see she was appreciated to.

Believe me I did worry somewhat, but my son is now 3 and the dog and him love each other so much. Maggie is a 6 year old "puppy" that is a dalmation mix, so she thinks it is all about playing. My son is 3 and he thinks it is all about playing. Perfect match.

Of course even though I thought I was so prepared for my son's arrival, I do remember thinking when we were leaving the hospital, "What do I do with him now?" Just remember--Love, Love,Love....it all works out...

view blog in real time at www.condron.us and www.alphainventions.com