My Baby's Smile. My Journey and Recovery Through Postpartum Depression

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Going Back to Work after Baby

Today in my search I was trying to locate articles on women going back to work after having their baby. Whether they had maternity leave and it was over and had to return to work or were they just going back to the workforce. I really could not find anything relevant for what I wanted to post. So I am just going to turn to my own situation and let you know my experience.

I went on maternity leave about 3 weeks before I was due. I was in property management, living in Florida, and just could not take walking up three flights of steps numerous times throughout the day showing apartments. I was done! Needless to say my son was then 9 days late. So, of course, I did not get my full 3 months of maternity leave with my son. When they called me to see if I was coming back to work I honestly did not think that I could do it. At that time I did not know that I was suffering with postpartum depression. I was not sleeping, could not eat, was anxious all the time, and did not think that I could leave me baby.

Of course my immediate thought was, "What is wrong with me? Women go back to work all the time after their maternity leave, why can't I?" There was something wrong with me and I did not know it yet. I had an illness called postpartum depression. I had to call my regional manager and let her know that I just could not return to work full time, but I would call them when I was ready to return. Did I ever go back to that job? No, I did not. I went back to a part-time job a few months later working nights at a restaurant. Was that easy? No, it was not.

By the time I went back to work part time, 3 nights a week, I had just been diagnosed with ppd and put on medication. I did not even start therapy yet. All I remember is I had a huge knot in my stomach for three days before my return and I kept thinking, "How am I going to do this?" On the drive there I kept looking back to my son's carseat and thinking, "I will be Okay." I was so nervous and anxious, but I have to admit once I got there some of my fears did go away. After 3 hours of working I thought to myself, "This is good for me. I have not thought that I would hurt my baby in 3 hours." I got home that night and felt good.

I still had a long road ahead of me, but I knew that it would get better. Have I been working since, yes. I have also in the 3 years since my son was born written a book on my experience with Postpartum Depression and started my own business working from home. Did I get through my PPD, yes. If you are suffering just remember you will too.

I guess the point of me writing today is to let you know that each woman experiences their own fears and worries about going back to work. I have had women write to me saying that they have to go back to work, suffering with PPD, but that they have no choice. Yes, in these economic times we do need to make money and if we have to work, we have to work. Just please do not compare yourself to other women. I did that and I think it made me feel worse. I felt like a failure because all the other women in my company had their babies, returned to work, and seemed fine. I just should not have compared my situation to anybody elses and you should not either.

Just remember, if you have to go back to work, get your priorities in order. Find child care you trust; make sure your hours and days fit your family schedule, and if you are suffering with anxiety, depression, or PPD, talk to your doctor and loved ones and let them know your fears. The more support you have around you, the better the transition will be.

I would love to hear about anyone else's experience about returning to work after "baby."

view blog in real time at www.condron.us and www.alphainventions.com