My Baby's Smile. My Journey and Recovery Through Postpartum Depression

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Raising awareness...

This has some great information from www.fitpregnancy.com not only does it talk about the mother's act, but it gives you some great links to find out more information from other sources. I can see both sides of the mother's act debate. I tend to agree that some medications are given out to freely to some people and that is what causes to many tragedies to so many people out there. However, as a woman who has suffered from PPD, I wish someone had taken the time to talk to me and ask me some questions! Whenever I went for an 0b-gyn check up or to the pediatrician with my son, I would mention, "Yes my baby sleeps, but I can't." Nobody ever then turned to me and asked me anything. My insomnia was so bad I did not sleep for days. My symptoms got worse as time went on. Do I think asking women questions after having a baby can hurt, no. But it can help the women out there who may need some additional help. I support the mother's act.

07.23.09
Proposed legislation fuels debate over universal screening for postpartum depression
Postpartum depression (PPD) is a very serious health condition with a serious debate swirling around it. A bill is currently making its way through Congress that would mandate funding for research, services and public education about PPD, which has ignited a dispute over whether all women should be screened for the condition, Time magazine reports. (The House version here; the Senate's here.)According to the magazine, whether PPD screening identifies actual cases "or simply contributes to the potentially dangerous medicalization of motherhood" is the issue at the center of this controversy. Both critics and advocates of the bill, known as the Mothers Act, agree about increased support for new moms. However, opponents say that such screenings are known for giving false positives, plus argue that more testing is a push from pharmaceutical companies to sell more medication to women who don't need it.On the flip side, proponents say PPD screening is not supposed to be used as a diagnostic tool but as a way to identify which patients require more evaluation. Experts hope that both sides can find a compromise while acknowledging women's depression but not assuming that all women who struggle with motherhood are depressed.Most women do experience feelings of sadness and loss after childbirth, known as the "baby blues." Even new dads can feel blue after a new baby is born. But if these feelings intensify and persist, you could be suffering from something more serious, so talk to your doctor. PPD is common, affecting 1 in 7 new moms. And it's very treatable! Check out our When Mama Gets Blue feature to read up on the different aspects of postpartum depression.And remember, you're not alone and you're not the first mom to feel this way! Take a peek at the real-life admissions in True Mom Confessions—you're not the only one who needs to vent. We know that the focus shifts entirely to a newborn when he or she arrives, but remember that you can be a better mother in those early months if you take a little time out to attend to your own needs, too. All the experts agree: Having a happy and healthy baby means babying yourself at times.
Maria Vega is Fit Pregnancy magazine's copy editor.

view blog in real time at www.condron.us and www.alphainventions.com