My Baby's Smile. My Journey and Recovery Through Postpartum Depression

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Generic Drugs vs. Brand name

http://www.self.com/health/2009/06/dangers-of-generic-drugs

Great article I read in Self Magazine. I have to say that once I read the article it brought up many questions for myself as well. I remember feeling really tired when I was taking generic medications. I too went to several doctors to see what was wrong with me. It never occurred to me that it could be because I was taking a generic form of my anti-depressant for my postpartum depression. No doctors found out that there was anything wrong with me or why I was feeling so tired.

There was a time that I complained about being so tired that I was switched to a different medication. I did start to feel better. Today I still suffer from mild anxiety, which is more towards my menstrual cycle. I did go back on a new medication a few months ago. Again I started feeling really tired. After reading this article I asked my therapist if this could be true.

Not only am I getting a generic brand of my prescription, but when you switch to another pharmacy you are also getting a generic brand from a different manufacturer. I just put the pieces together: Could my lack of energy and fatigue been caused by a generic form of my medication along with the fact that I switched to a new pharmacy and that in turn has another manufacturer?

My therapist's advice is to see what happens in the next month. If I still feel really tired, which I was not feeling before, I should go back to the original pharmacy to get back to the old manufacturer. But does that make the Generic Brand better than if I had the Brand name? I do not know at this point, but it is something that I am going to consider and in the future ask any doctor about the differences, regardless of what it is.

Again, if you have any questions, ask your doctor as they will be able to advise you correctly.

view blogs in real time at www.alphainventions.com and www.condron.us