My Baby's Smile. My Journey and Recovery Through Postpartum Depression

Monday, June 22, 2009

Please help spread the word on postpartum depression

I received this letter from Jen yesterday about her sister-in-law. This only makes me more determined to help spread the word of postpartum depression so that is does not take any more lives. After my recovery I could go back in time and remember my anguish so vividly, I had to do something. I wrote my story to let women know that they are not alone. Please, please, please talk to your doctor. My symptoms kept getting worse until I knew I could not handle it on my own any longer. Everyone around me, including my husband, told me that I was going to be fine. I fought for 4 months alone, I needed help. Please help spread the word. Postpartum depression can hit anyone at anytime, even if not expected. Thanks Jen for sharing your story with me.
Received June 21, 2009
Hi Beth,
My name is Jen and I am the creator of another postpartum awareness group. Please forgive me if you are already a member or if you have seen this group but I am trying to get the word out there about the group that I am so passionate about.Recently my sister-in-law committed suicide after suffering from postpartum psychosis. She had just have her first child, a daughter Elena. She took her own life exactly 3 week after giving birth. She went to the hospital a week before she took her life and told them that she was suicidal. She did not receive the medical treatment she needed. She never had any history mental illness prior to he postpartum. She convinced everyone she was getting better and that is when it happened.Her name was Jennifer. Me, her sister Heather and one of her best friends Heather are trying to start a non-profit organization to spread awareness and to change the medical system to teach them that postpartum is not to be taken lightly and it is in fact a series condition. If you are will to help us with any information you have or even offer us your support that would be wonderful. We are trying to spread the word and I saw you are writing a book and I think that is fantastic. Our group is going very well so far and perhaps we could join forces. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.